Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Goodbye Cats - Hello Farm

During graduate school I thought I would be lonely after moving to a different state. So, I took 2 cats with me. They were brother and sister. I named them Bella and Oscar. They were darling cats...until we got them de-clawed and spay/neutered. Shortly after the surgery they began peeing everywhere. I was shocked and searched everywhere to find out what I should do. We tried many strategies for getting them to pee in the litter box.

Fast forward 3 years. After seeing a few vets and trying lots of tactics I caught Bella peeing on my living room rug in front of me *in our brand new house*. It was horrifying. You know that smell doesn't leave the house. My hubby and I made the tough decision to put the cats in a small storage room in the basement...it had a window and shelves to jump on. We played with them and spent time with them, but we both knew the situation was dire. After about 8 months of them living in their "cell" and talking it over with the vet, we decided it was time to move them out of the house. Luckily my husband's parents had a farm where the cats could try and make a new life.

This past weekend we took the cats to the farm. I anticipated a lot of emotions running through me. I was worried they would have a hard time adjusting. I was worried they would be attacked by other animals. I was worried I'd never see them again.

To my amazement the cats liked the barn. I was shocked to see how well the transition went. It was as if the cats were meant to be in the barn. They were a bit nervous at first. The nervousness all started to melt away as they began to smell everything. They were excited to roll in the hay. They were so happy to be out of their "cell" and in nature. They finally had room to run and new things to do.

It was obvious the cats should have been taken there sooner. I'm so happy today that the cats are adjusting and that they aren't stuck in our little room any more!

No comments:

Post a Comment